Last edited: September 2018
Customer groups for electricity and fuel prices
Tanzania’s power supply company TANESCO distinguishes between the following customer groups for setting its electricity and fuel prices:
- D1 – Domestic Low Usage, for low consumption users (using on average less than 50 kWh per year);
- T1 – General Usage, for general use of electricity including residential, small industries, commercial and public lighting (applies to consumption above 283 kWh per year);
- T2 – Low Voltage Maximum Demand Usage, for general use at 400 Volts with average consumption greater than 7500 kWh per meter reading period;
- T3 – Medium Voltage Maximum Demand Usage, for general use where power is metered at 11/33 kV; and
- T5 – High Voltage for general use with power is meters of 132kV and above (including bulk supply to Zanzibar).
Additionally in the table below, you can find the grid-supplied electricity and fuel prices per category.
|Customer Category||Price Component||Charges from April 1st 2016 - Present|
|Energy Charge 0 - 75 kWh / mo||100|
|Energy Charge Above 75 kWh||350|
|T3 - Medium Voltage||Basic Charge/mo||16,769|
|T3 - High Voltage||Basic Charge/mo||-|
Furthermore for petrol products, the Energy and Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (EWURA) has published a price cap. The cap came into effect on August 1st, 2018. There is a maximum price set for both retail and wholesale petrol products, including diesel. The official notice and fuel price caps can be found here.
More about solar power systems here.